This calendar details all Connected Educator Aotearoa/NZ event.
You can also add your event here.
- This event has passed.
VIRTUAL FIELD TRIP: Antarctica – cool science in action
November 3, 2014 - November 7, 2014
In preparation for this field trip you will learn about:
Antarctic plants and animals humans, atmospheric CO2, climate change
food chains and food webs plant life in sea ice the “portfolio effect” and the resilience of a diverse ecosystem Antarctica as a place for scientific research
why we should be concerned about climate change, how we know there’s a problem and how people can influence the world around them
what can I do?
During the field trip you will:
- travel to Antarctica aboard a giant C17 Globemaster
- complete a survival training course travel and work with scientists to see science in action go diving through holes in the sea ice visit penguin colonies
- visit seal haul-outs, go fishing, take photographs and collect samples
- discover how energy moves through Antarctic marine food webs
- investigate whether plant life formed in sea ice is an important food source for coastal animals in Antarctica work with scientists trying to find answers to questions about climate change collect specimens and work with them in the laboratory at Scott Base.
Primary, Intermediate, Secondary
BYOD / one-to-one / mobile, e-Learning, Online learning